Friday, August 02, 2013

The summer of... Amazing

Oh my goodness.  This summer has meant a lot to me.  I have seen such amazing growth and changes in my boy, Calder.  Really.  Though I am his Mama and see him every single day, he continues to blow me away on a regular basis.

This afternoon was no exception.



We ventured to the County Fair with hopes of getting Calder on a few of the amusement rides... for the first time.  He was excited to try them out, so after watching a couple we even went so far as to buy him and Jeff bracelets for unlimited rides.

It is just incredible for me to ponder the growth and opening up, the desire for new experiences, and willingness to step out of his comfort zone that Calder's shown me since he entered school last year.  (I really credit getting out of the house and spending time in a stimulating environment with all sorts of children, adults and situations as the catalyst for his transformation.)











Anyway, tonight he rocked the fair.  He rode the big rides, the little rides, and he dragged his dad all over the place.  They were there much later than Lake and I, rode their bikes home, and walked in exhausted, but still buzzing, with an inflatable purple dolphin and great stories to tell.

This kid.  He's amazing.  He's been in swimming lessons 4 days a week for 5 out of the last 7 weeks.  He's gone from being afraid to put his face in the water all the way to Level 3.  Those two weeks when he wasn't in swim lessons he was at theater camp.  Same one as last year, which he liked but was so nervous on the last day he couldn't bear to participate in the final showcase.  Calder one year later?  He's now the kid who gets called up on stage to demonstrate hair pulling (from their lessons in stage combat!) in front of over 600 people.  And he did it with total confidence and the desire to be up there!  I think he's even chipping away at his fear of dogs.  What?!



And tonight he's riding amusement park rides like he'd waited all year to do so, but it was his first time ever.  This is too much fun!  Pardon my gushing.  I am just so grateful that I get to bear witness to this amazing almost-7-year-old person.



4 comments:

Jennie Cramer said...

Awesome! Just awesome. Love watching these growing beings emerge and show us the fullness of who they are. What a sweet boy you have. I felt your palpable joy in this post and LOVE the look of pure aliveness on Calder's face in every single photo. These are such sweet times! You are an amazing mama!

Jennie Cramer said...

PS--That was me, Jennie Cramer, above. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pure bliss in his face! So sweet and open to life.

Christa said...

This is awesome!