Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Still not safe

Have you heard that Sigg water bottles made before August 2008 are lined with a plastic coating that contains - and potentially leaches - the chemical BPA?



We bought ours a couple winters ago to replace our "bad plastic" Nalgenes that we really liked and used a ton. Not all the Sigg bottles have the BPA-containing lining. Jeff's did not, but mine did. The bad lining is a shiny copper color and the okay lining is a dull greenish yellow. Check here for a visual comparison.

The big bummer for me is that these metal Sigg bottles are lined at all. I haven't done a ton of research into it, but now am just wishing I'd bought a Klean Kanteen that's made from stainless steel and, to my knowledge, are not lined with anything. (Though, the larger mouth on the KK wasn't ideal for me, I think I'd prefer it to the Sigg bottle anyway. And I don't like any of the sport/nozzle style lids. Picky! Picky!)

So, through October 31, 2009 (not much time!) you can return your Sigg bottle to the company (you have to pay shipping) and they'll replace it with a similar one for free. And you don't have to return the lid, so you'll end up with an extra in case you lose one.

Just thought you might like to know!

No comments: