Wednesday, December 20, 2006

HARD TO LET GO



I LOVED being pregnant. It was absolutely the very best thing. I loved the belly. The mystery inside. The thinking about how everything I did affected another being so directly. And while I have a ton of pictures of me as a pregnant lady, a couple videos, a belly cast, and a journal, I'm still sentimental about that time disappearing from my body. The linea nigra is fading away but I wasn't so attached to that. For some reason the thing I'm sad to see go away is the nail polish on my toes that my mom applied a few days before Calder was born.



You can see how big that belly was. There was no way I was going to reach my toes. (I went into labor the night after taking this photo.) Sometime earlier I had asked my mom to paint my toes. It's not something I usually keep painted, but she likes to do hers, and I wanted to have something on me that made me think of her.

Well, four months have passed since the polish was applied (see previous post,) and if you look closely you can just see the last bit of red on the big toes. In fact, those nails are too long, but if I trim them I'll lose the last of the polish and be sad. I believe a transition polish is in order. Thank goodness we're headed up to my parents' house tomorrow. I think a mother/daughter pedicure is in order. Mom, you ready?

No comments: